10.20.2010

Albino Squirrels and a Full Moon

1.  As I write this list, Lady is in a staring contest with the albino squirrel who frequents our balcony.  I've been watching her the whole time, and I don't think she's blinked once.  No joke.

2.  That little punk squirrel stole my tomatoes several months ago.  Now he's back for the dead remains of my dead plants.  And yes, I finally took those poor dead souls out to the dumpster on Sunday.  They had only been sitting around, brown and pathetic, for about 5 weeks.

3.  The squirrel just shimmied up the brick wall.  I'm pretty sure that Lady is jealous that such a puny creature can perform such a herculean feat.

4.  Lady finally decided to blink.  And promptly started snoring.

5.  I don't know what I should be for Halloween.  Has this stressed me out?  Not particularly.  It's not like I have anywhere to go, but still...

6.  When I was in 7th grade, I dressed as a Revolutionary War soldier.  Incredibly nerdy?  Yes.  Awesome?  Yes.  Did I have a fife, three-corner-hat, and haversack?  Yes.

7.  7th grade was the last time I went trick-or-treating.  Go figure.

8.  The other day I found small pellets on our comforter.  Naturally, I freaked out and decided that we must have a rodent infestation.  Upon closer inspection several days later, I realized that they were seed pods.  Carried on a dog's coat.  A dog who likes to sneak up on the bed for a deep sleep while we're gone.  When confronted, the dog refused to comment.  I plan to find her guilty as charged.

9.  Has a dog ever withstood a trial?  Considering that Lady is scared of anyone she doesn't know, it probably wouldn't be a super-successful endeavor.  She'd probably go run in a corner as soon as she saw or heard or suspected a stranger.  Oh well.

10.  I love reading and writing stream-of-consciousness posts.

11.  I also love Twizzlers.  I bought a bag of them for trick-or-treaters at Target yesterday, but I'm guessing they won't last that long.  Just sayin'.

12.  I bought oodles of snacks at Target yesterday.  I realized when I got to the checkout line that the healthiest thing I had in my basket was a bag of kettle chips.  Sad?  Yes.  Delicious?  Yes.  Guilt?  Nope.

13.  Since I started writing this, I got the hiccups.  I wish there were a cure.

14.  One time a student told me that the cure-all of the hiccups was to take a spoonful of peanut butter and eat it while standing on my head.  I have to wonder about the logistics of this plan.

15.  I'm about to crack open that bag of Twizzlers.  Could this be a cure for the hiccups?  And can I excerise any self-restraint?  Nope.

16.  Is there a full moon tonight?  Based on students' behaviors today, I'm guessing yes.





17.  Here's a picture of the last full moon outside our apartment.  Not bad for city light, right?






18.   I'm pretty excited to go pick out pumpkins this weekend.  I miss going to the pumpkin patches and apple orchards up north, but we'll make do.

19.  I think I'm going to make some hot apple cider, given that the temperature outside (and inside, for that matter) is approximately a blustery 77 degrees.

20.  I didn't plan on making this a Letterman-style top-twenty list, but my stream-of-consciousness has officially run its course.




21.  Wait.  It has almost run its course.  First I must show off this picture I took this weekend of Miss Lady at the creek.  Sometimes I wish I could be a dog.
22.  One more thing.  I caved.  I'm a weakling.  I have no willpower.  And I'm happily eating the Twizzlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment